Civil engineering is arguably the enormous engineering discipline that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment, including works like buildings, roads, highways, hydropower, bridges, canals, dams etc. This built environment encompasses much of what defines modern civilization. Civil engineers build the world’s huge infrastructure. In doing so, they have shaped the histories and destinies of every nation. In fact, civil engineer’s concepts make civilization truly possible.
Since time immemorial, human beings have been engaged in building all kinds of edifices. From huts made of mud to high raise buildings, we have definitely come a long way. As civilizations matured, it simultaneously led to the development of bigger, better and diverse structures.
Some significant structures from the past include the Bruz Tower of Dubai, the tallest building in the world, Bird-nest stadium of China, Stonehenge in Britain, the Great Wall of China and Huge marine dams of Holland, the magnificent Eiffel tower of Paris etc. These are just but a mere glimpse of the examples set by one of the important branches of engineering, that is Civil Engineering.
Career in Civil Engineering
- Works in the field of design & development in construction work including earthquake resistance design of buildings, commercial complexes, high rise, hospital, educational buildings etc.
- Works in the field of hydropower, dam, irrigation, sanitation, water resource engineering etc.
- Works in the field of urban & rural transportation including highway, bridge, airport, ropeway, railway design and construction
National College of Engineering (NCE) for Civil Engineering
- NCE consist of high qualified & experienced teachers.
- Well-equipped practical labs related to civil engineering.
- Computer facilities with internet access and free WiFi.
- Department arranges various type of field visits related to civil engineering to enhance in depth knowledge in these fields
- Modern teaching learning technologies are adopted for excellent academic quality
- Well managed & sufficient books for each student.
Job opportunities in Civil Engineering
- Government public service commission employment opportunities in various civil engineering fields.
- Job opportunities in consultancy firms and construction companies
- Teaching job opportunities in universities and colleges
- Jobs opportunities in Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal (CAAN)
Some of its specialized fields for Civil Engineers:
- Structural Engineering
- Earthquake Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Disaster Risk Management
- Transportation Engineering
- Airport n Engineering
- Urban Planning etc.
- Environmental Engineering
- Water Resource Engineering