Computer engineers work on components, devices, programs, algorithms and systems that are used in computers, and on techniques of computation, analysis, and implementation that are applicable to single computers or to systems of computers.
In the past, work in this area used to be compartmentalized between hardware and software, but the boundaries between these two categories have become less distinct. Many computer engineers (and electronics engineers) are well versed in both hardware and software, and provide “hybrid” solutions on a regular basis.
Due to the wide use of computers across industries and applications, we find computer engineers in many diverse areas. For example, computer engineers design application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs) for use in cellular phones; they devise and program field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs) for control systems in manufacturing plants and power stations; they develop microprocessors for personal computers; they introduce embedded systems into diverse applications such as digital watches, portable music players, traffic control systems, and systems that control nuclear power plants.
Many computer engineers work on the design of very large systems that integrate many components and many computers. One example is computational grids, which harvest the resources of hundreds, even thousands of computers for performing intensive computations that are beyond the capability of a single computer. Another example is data grids which allow sharing and management of large amounts of distributed data (such as health information of patients in a country by hospitals, or meteorological and other environmental information collected from thousands of sensors in the ocean). Many computer engineers are involved with communication networks that connect multiple computers, sensors, actuators, and special-purpose devices.
Computer engineering thus provides society with many critical utilities. Computers and computer engineers have an impact on public welfare and safety, as well as on health and healthcare, the environment, quality of life, transportation, the food supply, computing, and leisure.
Career in Computer Engineering
- Works in the field of design, development, test, and evaluation of computer software
- Can work as Networking Engineer at Banking and Government sectors as well as computer engineer at public offices
- Works as a computer Engineer at defense organizations like Army, Police etc and various airports and various telecommunication companies
- Works as developer, QA engineer, Project Lead at various National and Multinational software firms
National College of Engineering(NCE) for Computer Engineering
- It is the foremost program run at NCE and is running since the establishment of NCE on 2058 B.S.
- The department has well-equipped laboratories and library.
- It has a team of dedicated and highly qualified and experienced faculty members
- The department arranges various value added courses, workshops, and seminars by experts according to the trending global market requirements
Job opportunities in Computer Engineering
- Reputed Software companies at home and abroad
- Nepal Army, Nepal Police
- Internet Service Providers and Banking Sector
- Start your own software company
- Freelancing: Work from your PC at home
Some of its Specialized fields for Computer Engineers
- Computer Networking
- Database Systems
- Operating Systems
- Cloud Computing
- Software Engineering
- Mobile Applications
- Artificial Intelligence
- Computer Architecture and Organization